Sodium hypochlorite poisoning
Alternate Names : Bleach, Clorox, Carrel-Dakin solution
Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical commonly found in bleach, water purifiers, and cleaning products.
Swallowing sodium hypochlorite can lead to poisoning. Breathing sodium hypochlorite fumes may also cause poisoning, especially if the product is mixed with ammonia.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Chemical used to add chlorine to swimming pools
- Some bleaching solutions
- Water purifiers
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Symptoms & Signs
Watered-down (diluted) sodium hypochlorite generally causes only mild stomach irritation. Swallowing larger amounts can cause more serious symptoms.
NEVER mix ammonia with sodium hypochlorite (bleach or bleach-containing products). This common household error produces a toxic gas that can cause choking and serious breathing problems.
Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning may include:
- Airways and lungs
- Coughing (from the fumes)
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Burning, red eyes
- Gagging sensation
- Pain in the mouth
- Pain in the throat
- Possible burns on esophagus
- Heart and blood vessels
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure
- Slow heartbeat
- Nervous system
- Irritation of the exposed area
- Stomach and intestines
- Stomach or abdominal pain