Alternate Names : Joint dislocation
Preventing injuries in children:
- Teach children how to be safe and look out for themselves.
- Create a safe environment around your home.
- Pay careful attention to preventing falls by gating stairways and keeping windows closed and locked.
- Supervise children carefully. There is no substitute for close supervision no matter how safe the environment or situation appears to be.
Preventing dislocations in adults:
- Wear protective gear when participating in contact sports.
- Avoid falls by not standing on chairs, counter tops, or other unstable objects.
- Eliminate throw rugs, especially for the elderly.
For all age groups:
- Keep a first aid kit handy.
- Use nonskid mats on the bottom of the bathtubs and avoid bath oils.
- Use handrails on staircases.
- Remove electrical cords from floor surfaces.