Breathing difficulty - lying down
Alternate Names : Waking at night short of breath, Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea, PND, Difficulty breathing while lying down, Orthopnea
Home Care & Treatment
Your health care provider may prescribe treatment for breathing difficulty while lying down. The treatment will depend on the specific illness causing the problem.
Weight loss is generally recommended in people who are obese.
Call your Health Care Provider if
If you have any unexplained difficulty in breathing while lying down, call for an appointment with your health care provider.
What to Expect at your Health Care Provider's Office
The health care provider will perform a physical examination and take your medical history.
Medical history questions may include:
- Did this problem develop suddenly or slowly?
- Is it getting worse (progressive)?
- How bad is it?
- How many pillows do you need to help you breathe comfortably?
- Is there any ankle, feet, and leg swelling?
- Do you have difficulty breathing at other times?
- How tall are you? How much do you weigh?
- What other symptoms do you have?
The physical examination will include special attention to the heart and lungs (cardiovascular and respiratory systems).
Diagnostic tests that may be performed include the following:
You may need to receive supplemental oxygen.