Alternate Names : Acetylsalicylic acid overdose
An overdose of aspirin means you have too much aspirin in your body.
This can happen in two ways:
If a person accidentally or intentionally takes a very large dose of aspirin at one time, it's called an acute overdose.
If a normal daily dose of aspirin builds up in the body over time and causes symptoms, it's called a chronic overdose. This may happen if your kidneys do not work correctly or when you are dehydrated. Chronic overdoses are usually seen in older patients during hot weather.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) can be found in many prescription and over-the-counter pain relievers, including:
- Alka Seltzer
- St. Joseph's
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Symptoms & Signs
Symptoms of acute overdose may include:
- Upset stomach and stomach pain
- Vomiting -- may cause an ulcer or irritation of the stomach known as gastritis
Symptoms of chronic overdose may include:
- Slight fever
- Rapid heart beat
- Uncontrollable rapid breathing
Large overdoses may also cause: